What is a Geriatric Care Manager?
A Geriatric Care Manager is a health and human services professional with a specialized body of knowledge and experience related to aging and elder care issues.
A Professional Geriatric Care Manager (PGCM) is a member of the National GCM Association and has committed to adhering to the GCM Pledge of Ethics and Standards of Practice. The PGCM assists older adults in attaining their maximum functional potential and quality of life. The PGCM strives to respect the autonomy of the individual and delivers care coordination and support services with sensitivity to preserve the dignity and respect of each individual. In addition, the PGCM is an experienced guide and resource for families of older adults
What does a Geriatric Care Manager do?
A professional Geriatric Care Manager can guide families through professional consultation/counseling, prioritizing needs, developing customized care plans, setting up services developing a plan of care and making sure the plan is instituted and followed so as to have positive outcomes. These activities not only help the older person, but also provide much-needed solutions for the adult child or family who find themselves in a crisis on how to help their parents
HOW DOES IT WORK?
I always start with a courtesy phone consultation to explore how I can best help in your situation. The next step is either a consultation or a visit to meet and evaluate the client. Many families start with a one-hour consultation which can save you hours of research and answer questions specific to your situation such as:
- My parent refuses care – what can I do?
- I think my parent may have Alzheimer’s – how do I get them evaluated?
- I have power of attorney – if my parent is no longer competent how can I get it activated?
- My siblings and I don’t agree on what to do – help!
- Mom is running out of money and can’t afford to stay where she is
- What kind of help can we get in paying for care?
- What entitlements and benefits does my parent qualify for?
- How can we get help in accessing and applying for benefits?